2016 Wangari Gardens Urban Gardener ApprenticeSHIP Program
Wangari Gardens is a 501c3 non profit 3-acre garden park in the Parkview Neighborhood of Washington DC that provides a wide variety of free urban garden and food security programs for the local community.
Wangari Gardens is currently looking for several DC residents for our structured unpaid Urban Gardener Apprenticeship Program. Apprentices will gain meaningful experience and education in the world of urban agriculture, community gardens, and community organizing and development around environmental, sustainable, educational, recreational, and therapeutic agricultural projects and programs.
- learning how to maintain our 8 public gardens and urban agriculture systems (vegetable garden, herb garden, medicinal herb garden, forest garden fruit orchard, berry gardens, mushroom garden, pollinator garden, beehive and our compost cooperative)
- helping organize events, workshops, and garden projects
- access to 25+ garden-related workshops
- support and lead a variety of value-added garden projects, including: growing hops, brewing beer (hops-infused kombucha brewing for underage apprentices), solar cooking, spoon carving, and a value-added mini workshop festival
The apprenticeship will parallel a full growing season, April 3rd – November 30th, 2016. There may be opportunities for a winter apprenticeship for those interested in winter gardening and/or non-profit management. Applications are accepted year-round.
- Minimum 5 hours/week commitment:
- 4 hours/week will be spent during our Open House every Sunday 12-4pm, where apprentices will work alongside our experienced co-directors and garden leaders
- 1 hour/week independent work to help maintain the public gardens
Although gardening and community organizing experience would be helpful, it is not required. This is an educational apprenticeship: enthusiasm and dedication are the only requirements.
For further questions and applications please email email@example.com
To apply send a resume with a one-page cover letter explaining your interest in our apprenticeship.