Community Compost Cooperative
Wangari Gardens is currently recruiting community members who wish to start composting their food waste at Wangari Gardens. This will be a cooperative of trained and invested composters actively working towards creating high quality compost from garden and food waste. To create this cooperative Wangari Gardens has installed 2 new and innovative critter proof compost bin.
In order to ensure quality control and investment Wangari Gardens has created a volunteer cooperative governance structure to be operated as a community compost cooperative. Our cooperative will have at least one compost manager and up to 50 compost members actively dropping off food scraps. Wangari Gardens is currently recruiting more compost cooperative members and co-managers to assist our main manager. The basic requirements are listed below
- Ensure quality control
- Coordinate communications with members
- Conduct 1-hour trainings for future members (will be trained to do this)
- Take a 1-hour training on compost best practices/cooperative governance
- Provide an active form of communication (email, phone number, etc)
- Volunteer to turn/shift/remediate compost once every 3 months or more if needed
If you are interested in joining our compost cooperative please email firstname.lastname@example.org to setup a training. Most trainings occur during our open houses around noon every sunday.
Do not start using a compost bin or dropping food scraps off without taking a training!!! All bins are locked to ensure quality control and only members who have been trained will get the combination.