Wangari Gardens is seeking a new Executive Director to provide leadership to our all-volunteer organization. While the position is unpaid, it is a great chance to get experience with community organizing, cooperative governance structures and garden design!
The Executive Director of Gardens is responsible for developing and implementing operational strategies to carry out the 501c3 all volunteer nonprofit Wangari Gardens mission:
“To promote community enrichment and environmental sustainability throughout the DC area by protecting and managing Wangari Gardens, a public Garden and park”
The central focus of this mission statement is to develop programs and gardens accessible to all community members which can include but not limited to:
- developing and implementing free education and recreation programs
- developing cooperative structures to maintain the communal public gardens
- develop and organize Sunday open houses
- developing outreach strategies to reach all community members despite any access barriers including mobility, language, technology and gentrification
- develop new public gardens and improve old gardens
- act as the Board Chairman on the 501c3 non profit board of directors
- coordinate with, assist, and ensure all programs and efforts support our mission statement and is in the community’s best wishes
- serve as garden liaison with DC government
- develop long term strategic plans for the organization
Approximately 5 hours a week work requirement with Sunday availability required.
Email email@example.com to learn more.